HISTORY: The Meteorological Observatory in Jaipur was established in 1875 in the premises of Central Public Works Department of princely state. It was shifted to Jaipur Airport (Sanganer) on 25.10.1947. Meteorological Centre, Jaipur was established in October 1972 in a rented building, moved to its own departmental building in 2001 and rendering the Meteorological services to the general public of the state of Rajasthan and concerned departments of Central and State Governments like Agriculture, Irrigation, Power, Flood Control, Relief and Rehabilitation, Roadways and Railways etc.
To take meteorological observations and to provide current and past meteorological information, current weather and weather forecasts on various temporal and spatial scale for optimization of resources of weather-sensitive activities like agriculture, irrigation, aviation, power plants, planning, industrial operations, tourism, disaster management and other activities.
1. Establishing, operating and maintaining a network of manual / automatic weather stations including synoptic, upper atmosphere-, radar, radiation, climatological, agro meteorological observations.
2. To record meteorological observations (surface, radar, radiation and upper atmosphere) of the Rajasthan state on different temporal and spatial scale through the manned and unmanned observatories and also to provide the current weather observations of all airports of the state.
3. To provide now-cast, short range and medium range weather forecasts and other information to the users for aviation and non aviation purpose.
4. To communicate the current and past meteorological information , forecast products and warnings to the public, aviation, industry, agriculture, tourism sector, Railways, defense forces, Rajasthan Government and its concerned bodies etc.
5. To warn the public and disaster management authorities if the state Government against severe weather phenomena like dust storms, heavy rains, frost, thunder squall , cold and heat waves, etc., which cause destruction of life and property, effect social-economic activities and agriculture operations etc.
6. To provide the QPF forecast of the catchments areas and formulate/disseminate a Hydromet Bulletin, Daily Rainfall Data and Flood Situation to concerned agencies like concerned State Government authorities, CWC, Flood Control Room, Defense, Railways etc during monsoon season in the state of Rajasthan.
7. Establishing, operating and maintaining a data bank of basic meteorological data and to provide climatological data and information required for agriculture, water resource management, industries, oil exploration, insurance covers, Research and other nation-building activities.
8. Conducting applied meteorological research to advance scientific understanding of weather and climate.
9. Organising basic Training courses in meteorology to the school / college going students of Jaipur and neighborhood.
10. Quarterly / Annual / five year inspection of all the departmental / non departmental observatories, AWS / ARG and manual rain gauge stations in state to maintain the quality of meteorological observations.